Experienced Family Law Counsel


Do I Need A Lawyer?

Yes, you do. I understand that you know you are the father. Your name may already be on the birth certificate. Maybe you live together.
Maybe you already have agreed on a timeshare.

But you don’t have any RIGHTS!

So, just in case mom gets a better job in a different state, what do you think can happen? She can move, and the child goes with her. And you still don’t have any rights.

If you were unmarried when your child was born, the state of Florida recognizes the rights of the mother because the state is very certain that she is the mother because she physically gave birth. Biologically you are certain you are the dad. OK, that is just not the same as having legal rights as a parent.

If the mother collects any services from the state, the Florida State Department of Revenue may establish child support in an effort to reimburse the State for the free services to the child. Or if the mother asks the state to establish child support, you may be obligated to pay child support, but the payment of child support does not provide an unmarried father any legal rights.

If the mother was married at the time of the child’s birth, but your name is on the birth certificate, guess what? The married man is the legal father.

Do you need a lawyer? Yes, you do.

I am family law attorney Deborah Cook, and I am serious about the rights of fathers. You have every reason to consult with someone regarding your legal rights and how to preserve your rights and relationship with your child.

Contact Me And Take The First Step Toward Protecting Your Rights

I offer free phone consultations to all prospective clients because I want you to understand what lies ahead before you begin the legal process. Contact my Orlando office today to make your appointment. You can reach Deborah A. Cook Law & Mediation online or by phone at 888-629-6144.